Are you thinking of having a puppy that wags its tail and happily runs towards you at each of your calls? Or are you thinking of having that cute little ball of fur called a kitten running playfully around your house? Are you thinking of going to the nearby pet store to buy one? Stop your pet search right then and think, “Why should I spend my money on a pet when I have the option of adopting one?”
Makes sense, right?
Well, as you will see, apart from saving money, adopting a pet has many other benefits.
1. As mentioned above, pets for adoption generally cost less than those available for sale at pet stores.
2. A pet available for adoption may already have been trained to respond to basic commands such as come, sit, go, etc. and thus reduces the problem of training it from scratch.
3. Pets available for sale in pet stores are bred for the purpose of sale, with profit rather than pet health in mind, and therefore are often sick and have behavioral problems. Pets for adoption are not bred for commercial purposes. They are available for adoption because their previous owners had to give them up for certain unfortunate reasons for which the animals are not responsible. Since they were cared for by an owner before they became available for adoption, they are generally healthy and well-behaved.
4. Pets for adoption come in all sizes, ages, breeds and colors and therefore you have a wider variety to choose from.
5. Most pet store owners keep animals in horrible conditions and elderly females are treated like breeding machines. They have no genuine concern for these animals. Without buying from them, you can feel self-righteous because you haven’t given them a dime.
6. Most older animals available as pets for adoption have already been vaccinated. So you don’t have to put up with the extra chore of vaccinating them.
7. By adopting a pet, you are not only giving it a home, but you are also helping to provide shelter for another homeless animal who will be fostered in place of the animal you have adopted.
8. Having an animal as a pet has been found to be psychologically and emotionally beneficial to your companions. Not only this. The feeling that you have saved an animal by adopting it also gives you self-satisfaction and makes you feel proud of yourself.
9. When you adopt a pet from a shelter, you are told in advance about the do’s and don’ts so that you are very aware of what your pet likes and what makes them tick.
10. Finally, you can brag in your social circles about having adopted a pet!
Now that you’re convinced of the benefits of adopting a pet, do an internet pet search and find the nearest pet shelter where you can adopt your pet.
Pets are a blessing to humans. They act like great companions and great friends. So give them the love and care they deserve.