Do you need a new theme for a movie night? Whether it’s a night for just two or a night full of friends, we’ve got you covered. Tonight’s movie is the movie “The Aviator” starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the crazy aviator Howard Hughes and this is your guide.
There is no better way to start a party than with the sophistication and glamor of an old Hollywood party. As you may or may not know, Howard Hughes didn’t just fly airplanes, he was a filmmaker back in the day, he dated a lot of stars (like Kate Hepburn and Ava Gardner) to boot. So throw a party that even Jack Warner would be proud of. Encourage everyone to come dressed like their favorite Hollywood royalty. You can even send fun old-fashioned invitations if you don’t mind the little extra expense. An essential is a big band CD. There is nothing that improves the mood for this movie than that.
Since it’s a fancy yet fun party, you’ll need a lot of sparkly pink champagne. Shirley Temples are a great idea for the soft drinker. All you need to do is get a bunch of 7-Up Cherry. It will do the trick. Just make sure you get some maraschino cherries to put in the glasses.
The dessert tonight will be the delicious and glamorous, but fun duck cream sandwiches. It’s a cute little dessert that matches the flying element of the picture and yet brings old Hollywood back. While they make it seem daunting to do, they are actually the opposite. In fact, you can make these little babies ahead of time and put them in the fridge until it’s time to serve them. Here is the prescription:
“Aviator’s Duck Cream Balls” *
Ingredients: 1/8 jar of strawberry jam, 4 eggs, ½ cup butter, 6.8 oz. Sugar-free instant vanilla pudding, 1 cup water, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3 and ½ cups of milk and powdered sugar.
1) In a saucepan, bring the butter, water and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until a smooth ball appears. Then we remove from the heat and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well until smooth and shiny.
2) Cut a small stone in the corner of a Ziploc Storage bag. Fill the bag with batter on a greased 15 x 17 baking sheet. Make 3 dozen 1-inch long hook shapes, making a small portion at the end for each duck head. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes (they will be done when golden brown). Put on wire racks to cool.
3) On another greased baking sheet, place 36 level tablespoons of batter. Form tears with the dough. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (they should be golden again). Remove to wire racks.
4) Mix the milk with the pudding mix in a medium bowl for just 1 minute. Place the container covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
5) Cut off the top third of each puff. Remove any soft dough. Put the filling in the bottom of the puffs. Top with strawberry jam. Cut the top in half lengthwise to make wings. Place the wings in the filling. Place the necks in the filling. Sprinkle with sifted confectioners’ sugar.
6) Indulge in all the glamor and sophistication you can muster.
Now is the time to serve the ducklings and sit back and enjoy the movie clip. So, put that DVD labeled “The Aviator” and let’s get started. I know Leonardo Dicaprio is in this photo, but he’s good, believe me. This movie has something that everyone can enjoy: costumes, beautiful colors, great actors, tragic drama, and lots of emotion. What more could you want? Here are ten things to keep in mind while watching this movie:
Probable page break 1) Leonardo’s butt: I didn’t see it coming, even after I told you to watch out. Tisk, tisk. Well, there he is in all his glory (along with him surrounded by jars of pee). Really attractive.
2) Really Scary Plane Crash – It’s scary … and it doesn’t just make kids turn their heads … it’s all head turning scary. It’s cool though … hey mom, look at all the blood.
3) Blinding paparazzi bulbs: yeah, all those blinking light bulbs hurt. I would look the other way, but I don’t want to miss a role.
4) Kate Hepburn-Okay, we all know that Cate Blanchett could even play a dog and make it look real. Although she doesn’t play a dog, we think she’s Kate to the end (although she hardly looks like her).
5) The Terribly Dirty Janitor: Even I would become obsessive compulsive just looking at the boy. I mean, did you see her nails? Ick.
6) The Fantastically Huge Court Trial: Every good movie has a standout speech that makes you cry, cheer, and cheer on the madman. Do I need to say more? That’s one more point for the little one!
7) Gwen Stefani’s Two Lines – Listen to the two lines and don’t be surprised. As long as she looks good, I’m glad they stuck with both lines.
8) Crazy Big Band Singer: I’m amazed at how much energy this guy has. It should have been an award winning performance. It makes you laugh so much that you can’t see well. In a weird way, it’s so much fun that it’s okay.
9) Burning Clothes Bonfire – This is the craziest bonfire scene I’ve ever seen. The music is crazy, but it still makes me want to join Hughes and burn all the clothes. Until you realize that you are in front of a room naked and without clothes. That’s embarrassing!
10) When you tell your date not to eat too much ice cream, all of this gives me the creeps. The title of this one should also give you the chills. How old is that girl? Really weird, and I don’t want to know.
Well, with all these tips, your movie night will be the talk of the town. Everyone will be talking about ducks and madmen until next year. A job well done!
* The base of the recipe is from Taste Of Home and then I molded it from there.